CSF Executive Director Job Description
directly support the Board of Directors and lead the Foundation’s fundraising and programmatic activities. The
Executive Director reports directly to the members of the Board of Directors, with primary interaction with the
Board Chair. Originally founded by a group of dedicated parents and community leaders, it was originally a
“working” board with no staff. By the third year, staff was clearly needed so a part time Executive Director was
hired, as well as a part time administrative assistant. The Foundation has signature events for students and
support for classroom teachers, but it’s time to do even more.
The Conejo Schools Foundation is an independent 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization that supports Conejo
Valley Unified School District programs and activities, its schools, teachers, and students. The Conejo Schools
Foundation partners with the community to mobilize support and resources in order to protect, strengthen,
and grow quality educational experiences for all CVUSD students.
The Conejo Schools Foundation:
- Generates donations that enables it to continue to enrich student experiences and award grants to the
teachers and schools, support the All-District Music Festival, and help meet needs as they are
identified by the District and community.
- Targets the highest-priority, district-wide needs that are not covered by state-allocated budgets or
state and federal grants.
- Continues to be a conduit for individuals and private foundations to make major gifts to the District.
- Builds an endowment fund that will ensure ongoing community support for unfunded and under funded District needs in the future.
The ideal candidate will possess excellent written, oral, and organizational skills and have direct experience in a
nonprofit environment. Experience and knowledge of K-12 education field is a plus. This is an opportunity to
work with a small, close-knit team in a values and mission-driven environment.
The Executive Director will interface with CSF Board of Directors, Stakeholder Council, donors, and community
stakeholders. The Executive Director will be working to support CSF’s various initiatives, fundraising efforts,
and administrative functions.
- Find potential individual and corporate donors
- Maintain relationships with current donors and solicit larger commitments
- Plan events and campaigns to attract new donations
- Maintain donor list, and other mailing lists with assistance from Administrative Assistant
- Develop and implement fundraising plan and process including marketing campaign
- Organize fundraising events with the assistance of VP of Programs/Events
- Apply if appropriate and monitor grant opportunities
- Raise public awareness
Communications Support (10%)
- Create and handle all social media posts and interactions with assistance from outreach support
- Develop and implement press releases as appropriate with assistance from Mustang Marketing
- Maintain and update content on website
Board of Directors and Stakeholder Council Coordination Support (5%)
- Schedule and coordinate all board meetings, including agendas, minutes, and related materials.
- Coordinate formation and implementation of subcommittees as directed by Executive Board
- Assist in board member recruitment, orientation, and evaluation with assistance from the Executive
- Oversee GetAhead Summer School (WASC accredited summer school program)
Events Management Support (5%)
- All District Music Festival – Ten nights of student performances in Choir, Strings or Band, sponsored by
Conejo Schools Foundation, in cooperation with the City of Thousand Oaks, Conejo Parks and
Recreation, and Conejo Valley Unified School District
- The Starlight Soiree – annual fundraising/community event
- Other Initiatives – Cash for Conejo Classrooms, Breakthrough, Safety & Wellness Program, Cycles for
General Administrative Support (10%)
- Supervise contracted Administrative Assistant
- Monitor, respond, and escalate emails from CSF’s email accounts as necessary
- Work with board and accountant on budget and finance-related matters
Community Engagement (20%)
- Attend various meetings and report when appropriate at School Board meetings, District Advisory
- Represent CSF at community functions or provide information for a board member to represent
Meetings and other committee meetings as appropriate
- Knowledge of K-12 Education preferred
- Professional conduct and ability to abide by confidentiality when appropriate
- Strong work ethic and high level of integrity
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (preferred but not required) and 7+ years of demonstrated successful leadership
experience in an organizational environment (nonprofit experience preferred)
- Well-organized, self-directed, highly motivated, ability to work independently and in a team, and
handle multiple tasks. and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
- Ease at managing competing demands and determining top priorities independently
- Strong analytical, research, problem-solving, decision-making instincts, and verbal and written
communication skills, with an emphasis on an ability to effectively communicate with diverse
audiences using multiple mediums
- Must have strong design and visual communication skills
- Outstanding organizational and project management skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Suite.
- Familiarity with social media platforms (e.g., Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn), social media
management software, Blogging Tools (Wordpress), Email Service Providers (Mailchimp, Constant
Contact), and Graphic Design (Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Canva); experience with a donor database
is a plus.
- Ability to work flexible hours which include some evenings and weekends.
Compensation and Benefits
Part-time/Full-time salary range is $30-$50/hour, exempt position. Budget available for technology
support. This position will be remote, with occasional in-person meetings in Ventura County. Position available
immediately. Must be fully COVID-19 vaccinated. More information at conejoschools.org.
Please email cover letter, resume, three references, and writing sample, in one PDF file, to Norbert Tan,
Consultant, at firstname.lastname@example.org with “CSF Executive Director” in the subject line. Applications will be
reviewed on a rolling basis.
CSF is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, gender,
age, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, HIV status, disability, or marital status.